These wines were a lot of fun to sample this fall and some were on our radar for a few years as they developed as a winery and brand. The scores quickly came in and our Tasting Panel was able to assemble a really fun and unique wine club shipment for our members. We hope you enjoy them as much as we did while sampling together.
2019 T Berkley Wines White Wine, Mendocino County
Chenin Blanc | Winery Price: $30
Tasting notes: This wine comes exclusively from Tim Norgard’s Sterling Ranch just outside of Ukiah in Mendocino County. Older vines planted in 1980 on the now little used AXR1 rootstock still thrive there in the Mendocino County soils. The grapes were picked at lower brix, crushed and left on skins for a day, pressed, and fermented in a mix of French Oak, stainless-steel barrels, and concrete egg. Aged on lees 12 months, the wine has vibrant acidity and excellent phenolic structure, with notes of honeycomb, lemon curd, and lanolin. Elegant and structured, this wine will benefit from some patient aging, but drinks beautifully today.
- 326 cases produced.
- 100% Chenin Blanc from Mendocino County.
- Fermented 30% Concrete, 60% Neutral French Oak, 10% Stainless Steel. 11 Months in vessels followed by 3 months in tank before bottling.
T Berkley Wines
- Located in Calistoga, CA – does not currently have a tasting room.
- Produces 800-1000 cases per year of Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc exclusively.
T. Berkley Wines is the passion project of owner/winemaker Taylor Boydstun, founded to explore the promise of Loire varieties grown here in California. Starting with a long running love affair with Cabernet Franc and finding his white wine spiritual expression in Chenin Blanc, he works constantly to introduce interested US consumers to something more than Chardonnay and Cabernet and welcomes everyone on the journey!
2018 Jigar Wines Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
Pinot Noir | Winery Price: $40
Tasting Notes: Ripe and generous flavors of pomegranate, cranberry, and red plum introduce themselves with a delicate hello. The rich garnet color exudes freshness in the glass. Pairs beautifully with a roasted chicken and could be cellared for several years. Time will only add greatness to this Russian River delight.
- 402 cases produced.
- 100% Pinot Noir.
- 18 months on 25% new French Oak.
This is a blend of several of their finest Pinot Noir vineyards from around the Green Valley region. The finest traits from each vineyard combine to form this beautiful bottle of wine.
- Wine is produced in Santa Rosa, CA. There is no public tasting room.
- Produce ~1,500 cases per year across Chardonnay, Rose, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Merlot, and a red blend.
2016 Puccioni Vineyards Old Vine Zin, Dry Creek Valley
Zinfandel | Winery Price: $34
Tasting Notes: Blackberry, blueberry, vanilla nose; plum, chocolate palate with balanced acidity and soft tannins; medium-plus finish.
- 250 cases produced.
- Zinfandel, blended with Petite Sirah from Puccioni Ranch.
- 17 months in Hungarian and French oak barrels.
- Located in Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma County, Puccioni Vineyards has been growing and making wine for four generations – since 1904.
- Produce approx 250 cases/year.
2013 Viluko Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County
Cabernet Sauvignon | Winery Price: $50
Tasting Notes: Deep aromatics of brown spice, cinnamon and clove open to mouthfuls of dark berries and deep red cranberries. A core of minerality supports notes of red raspberries and cocoa powder. A balanced wine, and taut, with ripe fruit and supple texture; its youth is expressed with abundant tannins that soften when decanted. Worthy of aging for 8 – 10 years.
- 1,188 cases produced.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 18 months in 100% French oak, 50% new.
- Located in Santa Rosa, Viluko Vineyards hosts tasting by appointment only.
- Produce 900 cases per year, across Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
- The estate mountain vineyard is CCOF certified organic.
2014 Meeker Wine Syrah, Dry Creek Valley
Syrah | Winery Price: $40
Tasting Notes: Blackberry compote with mint leaves, red dirt, dusty stone, cloves and eucalyptus. A playful and high volume mid-palate slides away with elegant length.
- Based in Healdsburg, CA, the tasting room is by appointment only.
- Produce 5,000-6,000 cases per year across Pet Nat, Verdelho, Chardonnay, Rose, Grenache, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Carignane, Merlot, Cab Franc, Cab Sauvignon, Red blends, and dessert wines.
- Family owned and operated since 1977; Molly Meeker is the matriarch and President. Her son Lucas Meeker is the second generation winemaker and COO.
2014 Dry Creek Valley Syrah
- 305 cases produced.
- 100% Syrah.
- 24 months in mixed once-used and neutral French and American oak.
2017 Idell Family Vineyards “Oscar Mixed Blacks” Red Wine, Sonoma County
Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Carignane, Mouvedre, and Grenache | Winery Price: $42
Tasting Notes: A very rich, complex, robust field blend with notes of blackberry, raspberry and chocolate.
The Idell Family Vineyards “Oscar” Mixed Blacks – Red Wine is a wine of exceptional heritage. The vineyard is located on land which was part of the original Carriger Estate of Nicholas Carriger who came to Sonoma in 1846 (the same year as the Donner Party) and purchased his 1000 acre parcel from General Vallejo. Carriger reportedly was the first American to grow wine grapes commercially in Sonoma Valley. This wine is an homage to the old Sonoma Valley style of grape growing and winemaking: dry farmed and head-pruned, with five co-fermented varietals as in “old vine” vineyards with mixed varietals.
- 122 cases produced.
- Because this is a field blend, the %’s of grapes differ from year to year. However, planted are approximately 70% Zinfandel and the 30% balance a mixture of Petite Sirah, Carignane, Mourvedre and Grenache.
- 18 months in 40% new, 60% neutral American oak.
Idell Family Vineyards
- Small, family-owned winery. No tasting room.
- Produce ~500 cases per year across Chardonnay, Syrah and the Oscar Mixed Blacks, a Red Wine Field Blend.
To purchase these wines, please visit our wine club page to join today.